Monday 3 June 2013

Catching up with Time and Time catching up with me...

I may have been watching a bit too much Doctor Who (thank you University of Bath VPN) but this almost on time (as if there's a timetable) Blog post features a fair bit of thinking about time. 


Part one: Time that has passed.

Specifically the time since I last posted a blog - which it turns out is quite a lot and quite a lot has happened in it, mainly due to the fact that I meant to write a follow-up to it and never did.  Here in much cut down form is some of what that blog would have said, plus some more occurrences:


  • Lectures have started again, that means that I have chosen modules to do, namely Staats- und Demokratietheorien, Großbrittanien unter den Stuarts (yes, I know I swore I'd never do history again but I don't have to write a Hausarbeit and there is published work in English on this topic, surprisingly) and lastly (excluding language courses) Europäische Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik.  All in all I'm pretty pleased and don't think I've bitten off more than I can chew...yet.
  • The sun appeared... briefly.  It was wonderful, until it went away and decided to send rain for the latter half of May, so cheers Sun.  In fact Passau, Tirol and Prague would like to say a special thank you in the form of bagging up dozens of beaches and putting them in bags next to their rivers.  
  • I have played lacrosse and obtained some of the best tan lines known to man.  Not only are there the  razor sharp farmer's tan lines at the top of my arms but also the stripes going down my arms from my arm guards.  It's a great look. 
  • There have been bank holidays, 4 in altogether in the month of  May, or only one bank holiday-less week.  This resulted in a 5 day weekend, which, combined with previously mentioned Wanderlust resulted in a hastily organised trip to Munich.
  • I was lucky enough to get a visit from my girlfriend, for a whole week which was amazing.  We managed to get up to all sorts, including visiting two other countries, one of which we couldn't even see the whole way across.  
  • Bayern won the German treble - not something I did but everyone in the bar seemed pretty excited, as did the news, and the papers, and Facebook, and well, Germany.  

Part Two:  Time yet to Come. 
On the 27th of July I will pick up my bags, take myself to Zurich and get on a plane and fly to Birmingham from where I will go Home.  Its something I've been able to do several times before but this time there will be no return trip, I won't go back to Konstanz and my small room, my Year Abroad will be over.  Realising this and seeing many of my fiends finishing their years abroad has set me to thinking.
  • In two month's time I will have moved out of Paradies, into my house for next year in Bath, via my Parent's house.
  • In two month's and less than a week's time I will be sat on a plane, heading to St. Petersburg to begin a month long trip over a third of the Earth, taking me through Russia, Mongolia and China and home from Hong Kong.  I will be excited.  I will also be bricking it.
  • I will have made all that I will make of my year, regardless whether more or less than I had planned and whether or not I have ticked off all of the places and things I'd meant to visit and do.  
  • All of the people who I've met, the friends I've made, will go back to their homes, stay here or go on to their own adventures and to pastures new and it will be down to me to keep up, keep in touch and keep the real value of this year.  
  • In four Month's time my final year will start in earnest, the end will be in sight, I will have to work hard and I will have to apply for jobs and prepare for life after 'The End' and more 'making the most of it' will happen.  In what ratios these thing will happen I really can't say.
  • I will have to see just what I have learned from this year.  Helpfully there will be a record of what I think I've learned, for me to see what I've forgotten and what I didn't realise I had learned. 
There we have it, consider yourselves caught up and forewarned.  Hopefully there will plenty to report on coming up.  

P.s I'd really like to keep up this blog/ a blog after the end of the year.  What I'm not sure about is whether I'll keep this one going (title and all), change the title due to no longer being 'in Deutschland', or simply start a new one (name suggestions welcome).  Advice, suggestions, opinions welcome.  

1 comment:

agw said...

time yet to come made me cry... I don't want ERASMUS to end :'(

Post a Comment